2.7.07

Howls From The Wilderness

I would accept as an axiom the following quote by Harlan Ellison, "The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen... and stupidity." Even with this fact very firmly in front of me, when the Hottentots run amok or the howling savages rise up and make an infernal din - generally over something which should be painfully apparent to even the dimmest of dim bulbs -, I find myself in awe of the sheer stupidity of those involved.

Unfortunately, people have a profound (and startling) capacity for delusion and willful ignorance. I know that we will have reached the End Times when it is the norm for people to see things steadily and seem them whole. Only connect... ¹

I know, I know! I can hear you all now, "Good grief, what has started HIM off? A nasty case of the rams? Is he seeing the Little Mean Man in a yellow slicker on roller-skates again?"²

Rest easy, my gentle readers, it is not a case of the rams nor is it a case of general malaise. It is nothing! A mere bagatelle! A passing moment of angst such as even the most sunny tempered of people (and my exact opposite) would experience every so often.

Hold your horses! Hey! Put down that driving iron! I'm getting to it! Alright! Alright!

I shall begin at the beginning of my tale as I'm told that it is the best place to start.

Of the course of several years, my good friend Patrick of OrangeTV has, like so many others, kept a blog. His blog is a collection of thoughts, reviews, dithyrambs about artists, restaurant encomiums, and bars that he has enjoyed and wished to share with us his friends. It has never to my knowledge and belief been his driving goal to become the next lifestyle writer for such estimable publications as The Stonewall News or even Vogue. No. He's always written candid, interesting, and oft amusing tit-bits for his friends (and whomever cared to read his words). He has never claimed credentials that he hath not. I do not recall him proclaiming himself the Julia Child of Coeur d'Alene nor the Terry Wogan of northern Idaho. Nor has he represented his written efforts as anything other than what it is: one man's take on a certain restaurant, CD, band, bar, or what have you.

Consequently, when one of the editors/writers for the only local daily worth two hoots, The Spokesman Review, took notice of his efforts and suggested he begin writing for the aforementioned paper; we were all pleased for him. By the time that this occurred, I'd moved to Seattle and I continued to read his blog because it is entertaining and it reminds me of old times.

Besides, my fathering and mothering creatures both enjoy reading his articles and I usually get a phone call from them with comments (or questions) about something he'd written.

Now, with the facts in place (no pretensions, no credentials beyond that of a normal mortal), I was more than a little irked when some kadodie hiding behind the ever so à propos nom de forum of "John Duh" decided to take Patrick for task for enjoying complimentary food and drinks at a preview of a new watering hole that's opened in good ol' Bored n'Lame (which, knowing most of what is offered at places in CdA, qualifies Patrick for a Congressional Medal of Honor for Conspicuous Heroism).

I suppose what annoyed me most about this cretin was his disingenuous attempt to cast nasturtiums at Patrick and portray him in an unflattering light as a person puffed on his own self-importance. But then, this is nothing unusual for anyone who finds themselves in the public eye. God forbid should someone have a modicum of success because the howling savages will start to do a species of snake dance and begin whetting their knives.

Further, deponent saith not.

¹ Forster, Edward Morgan. Howards End

² Parker, Dorothy. "Re-enter Miss Hurst, Followed by Mr. Tarkington." The New Yorker 28 January 1928

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger swivek said...

Did someone leave him a comment or something - I didn't hear anything about this and now I can't find anything so maybe Patrick just removed it - I'm curious to know who the jealous little beatch is, it's probably someone we know and already can't stand

11:32 AM  
Blogger The Wicked Brian of the West said...

They reprint his blog on the Spokesman Review's website. Go take a loonk at www.s-r.com and search for OrangeTV. The exchange I refer to is tacked onto the post about the CdA movie.

I doubt that it is someone we know - although, I could be wrong since the yipyop hid behind the veil of anonymity (the refuge of anyone committing an unsavory act). The author is probably some superfatted old bore with nothing better to do.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home