28.4.05

The Martini - An Introduction

A Martini is a dangerous drink, my dear,
I have two at the very most,
three and I'm under the table,
four and I'm under the host.
-- Dorothy Parker
This has always been one of my favourite Dorothy Parker quotes. I love Ms. Parker as much as I love a Martini. Ogden Nash wrote the following poem about the Martini and I heartily commend it to you.
A Drink With Something In It
There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.
Starting this week, I'll begin a series of discussions on the Martini - including my views and recipes for this libation - and visit local bars in search of the best Martini in town. The first of the series of articles will be published this week. And we'll be visiting a local establishment to test the abilities of their bartender.
Skål!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home